I know I haven’t posted in a long time, so I’m just going to do a brain dump and list some things that I’ve been picking away at.
- I added fascia to the majority of my layout! I’m pretty pleased by how it looks. Photos to come soon.
- I bought a bunch of “inexpensive” freight cars, some of which I have refurbished for my layout, and some that I resold on the excellent CANADA HO/N Yard Sale group on Facebook.
- I started doing some weathering with PanPastel artists’ pastels. So far I weathered one Bachmann grain car and sealed it with Dullcote. I’m pleased.
These are the DCC-equipped locomotives / RDCs I have. Only CN 3665 (third from left) has sound.
I bought another locomotive and I hope to receive it by the end of next week.
It’s a Kato/Atlas GP38 custom painted by Scott Holmes in a fantasy CN/VIA scheme.
I’m not sure if I will repaint it… I’ll have to see it and operate with it for a while first to see how I feel about it.
Time For DCC
Speaking of exciting, I bought a trio of TCS T1 decoders to go into my two VIA “blue box” locomotives and an old Bachmann “RS18”.
These VIA units have some extra detail on them – handrails, grilles, etc. – so they are definitely a step above your normal Athearn “blue box” quality. I believe Craig Takahashi did the detail work.
I’ll be following these instructions for DCC installation. It’s definitely not my first decoder installation – see my RDC installation – but I don’t do it often enough to be able to do it without glancing at instructions.
I haven’t done any formal operations sessions in a while. I have run trains a few times when my nephew came by – he does love the trains but I think he likes driving my toy trucks more.
I am getting the itch to run trains so I think I’ll be doing that soon.
These are the next things I plan to do on my layout / trains:
- Install the three decoders
- Run an operations session
- Weather a few more cars